Once the healthy decision to quit smoking is made, one cannot underestimate the challenges associated with it, namely, that of coping with nicotine cravings.
These cravings are short-lived and can be successfully managed, in order to quit smoking, for life. Natural ways to quit smoking are safe, without any harsh effects on the mind and body.
They hold significant advantages over all other ways of smoking cessation, as under:
- Natural ways to quit smoking use natural products which keep the mind and body refreshed.
- Longevity is enhanced, since most products used in the natural ways fight a number of other diseases as well.
- Using other methods to quit smoking, such as nicotine replacement methods administer nicotine to body. There are dangers of prolonged exposure of nicotine to vital parts such as mouth, nose, kidney, bladder and lungs, which are avoided when one resorts to natural ways.
- Natural ways are mostly painless ways that soothe the mind and body.
- Natural ways are less expensive than other means and can be successfully mastered by even people living below the poverty line.
Some of the ways to cut down on cigarettes naturally have been discussed here. Some methods may be effective immediately, whereas others may take a little longer.
Each method may have its own pros and cons and must be used according to the level of smoking.
Meditation, in simple terms, is unwinding and cleansing the mind off unwanted thoughts.
In most cases, it is the addiction to cigarettes, instead of cigarettes themselves, that are harmful. Meditation can be mastered by:
- Choosing the wee day-break hours to meditate, when there are less of peripheral disturbances.
- In comfortable clothing, sit on the floor and focus your thoughts till they converge.
- Reaffirm positive claims like, “I will steer clear of my smoking addiction, at the earliest”, or “I will reduce smoking by 3 cigarettes today”.
- Yoga is an age-old meditation technique, that is forms an important part in many smoking cessation programs.
- Mindfulness is the key to positive energy, which is a natural way to fight tobacco based products.
Professional hypnotherapy from a skilled practitioner is known to be so powerful, as to control nicotine cravings in a single session, though the success rate differs from person to person. In hypnosis,
- The therapist makes contact with the subconscious mind after taking the person to a trance-like condition, where the mind is receptive.
- By planting strong anti-smoking thoughts, the existing thought patterns are broken and new ideas are planted to lead a tobacco free life.
- This psycho-therapeutic method has been found to be highly effective with smokers across the world, so it lacks a scientific base.
Acupuncture is one of the most ancient methods of quitting smoking on a permanent basis. Under this method, serotonin levels are enhanced.
Serotonin is a neurotransmitter formed from tryptophan and abounds in animal tissues and is responsible for regulation of perception of pain, mood swings and the sleep wake cycle .
- Under this method, the practitioner uses thin and slender needles that are inserted into skin.
- The needles come into contact with accupoints and act on them to calm the key areas where problems emanate from.
- The liver is the key focus point in acupuncture and according to traditional Chinese medicine, the liver that is used to nicotine stimulation, find itself de-energized when one quits smoking. This reduces liver functioning and creates serious nicotine cravings. Acupuncture tries to stimulate liver functioning.
- Acupuncture also works at making smoking a less delightful experience for smokers, and leads them on to the stop-smoking phase.
- There are mixed responses to the success rates and consistency of this method, but many smokers prefer this traditional method to the complex modern ones.
Aromatherapy is about inhaling the sweet and healthy smell of herbs, essential oils and the like, which gradually reduce the dependence on nicotine.
By casting a stimulating effect on the respiratory track, these aromatic recipes, kindle a sense of satisfaction in the body, that is similar to one that is experienced after smoking.
The most popular products used in aromatherapy include:
- Black pepper essential oil
- Angelica Oil
- Clary Sage and Patchouli
- Rosewood and Rosemary
- Clove and Cinnamon
- Roman Chamomile and Ylang ylang
There is no hard and fast prescription and usually, a blend of some or all of the above products has been found to be effective.
Methods of usage include, sniffing directly from cork-tight bottles, using plastic inhalers or rubbing out patches on body from a cotton ball or a tissue, containing drops of these aromatic oils.
Self massage of hands, ears or both, has found to be highly effective in curbing nicotine cravings and the urge to reach your hands for a pack of cigarettes.
Self-massage helps quit smoking by easing body and mind.
- Keeping hands occupied, so that you cannot break the sequence of massage is the bottom line of self massage
- Release of stress during self-massage relaxes muscles
- Pangs of cravings that last for a few minutes or seconds can be won over, by working your hands to self-massage, till the attacks subside.
- Anxiety rates come down significantly and so do frustration and irritability associated with quitting smoking.
There are a lot of homemade solutions to quit smoking and the journey towards abstinence is only as far as your kitchen larder, in many cases.
Nature is abundant with recipes to stop smoking, some of which include:
- Fruits, vegetables and milk
- Herbs like Rhodiola rosea and St. John’s Wort
- Green Tea
- Ginseng Powder
- Cayenne Pepper
- Licorice stick
- Grape Fruit and Grape seed
The list is endless. Normally a regular intake of multi-vitamins is very effective in making good, the damages made by heavy smoking and to replenish lost nutrients in body.
In addition to the above natural methods, one needs to keep physically fit by exercising regularly and mentally cheerful and agile by pursuing productive hobbies, to experience quicker and lasting success in quitting smoking.